Friday, January 07, 2005

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do?

I heard Donald Trump on the radio this morning talking about how some study showed that married people tend to be healthier, probably due to less stress. Now, I'm not so sure about that one. Personally, I feel much more stress when I'm involved in a relationship. In the past I never seemed to know what was going on, how to act and/or react 'properly', or just in general when I should just shut-up and let things alone. I guess I tended to be a little late on realizing the way things were going. So now I'm always on edge, looking for whatever could be happening that my natural personality tends to miss.

I really believe it's much easier to break up with someone than to keep things going in a good direction. Even when it's been someone breaking up with me. Only once in my life do I remember someone dumping me that I really had a hard time with it. I deserved it too. That realization didn't help.

I've had some classic break-ups too. I remember one time I stopped by my girlfriends work to see what we were doing the next time we got together. It was like a scene from Seinfeld (Seinfeld again?). I asked about that evening, but she couldn't make it. Then I asked about the weekend, but she was busy. Then I asked about the next week, but she was still busy. ??? Finally she admitted that, when it came to time with me, she was busy for the rest of her life. I was a bit stunned. We had been seeing each other for over a year. After a few seconds of shocked silence, I just laughed. That didn't get me any brownie points, but it just seemed so funny to me the way this was happening. She and I ended up still being friends, but she admitted to me years later that my reaction pissed her off. I guess she wanted me to be more upset.

I had a girlfriend right after high school that just decided one day that she wanted to get married to her old boyfriend. A guy she hadn't seen for over a year. (Maybe she was seeing him at the same time as me?) I went over to her place one night and that was the first thing she said. (Another time I was surprised.) I was too young and not that much attached to be very upset about it, so I wished her well and got ready to leave. She stopped me and said that she didn't want to break up officially until the weekend was over so that we could have sex all weekend first. Now what guy wouldn't like a break up like that? Sex all weekend without strings attached. She did marry the old boyfriend, had a baby and divorced him within 2 years. I wonder if he got a free weekend?

I once was dumped in high school because I didn't try to have sex with my girlfriend. She told everybody that I was too slow for her. ??? This was a new concept for me. I only knew the girl for 2 weeks.

I was dumped once because I was too short. Made me wonder who she was looking at all those times we were together. Did I look taller at some point? She was 5'7", I'm 5'6". It meant something to her.

I stopped seeing someone once because she moved to Maine. That's quite a long way away from Maryland. She didn't have to and I asked her not to. I had a good career path going, she was unemployed. There really wasn't any reason for her to move except 'she always wanted to live there'. So I ended it. She was pissed! She argued with me that she 'planned' on coming to visit at least every 6 months or so. Yeah, that's a good base for building a relationship. "Nice seeing you! See you again in 6 months! Umm, what was your name again?" She was so mad. Writing me letters and cussing me out, telling me that I wasn't the guy she thought I was. Sorry babe. Every 6 months would be fun to have a friend visit, but I can't take you seriously as a potential long term partner.

All in all, my experience with relationships is that they are easy to get into and easy to get out of but very difficult to keep going. If we could just keep getting into new relationships and then ending them quickly, I think the stress level of the world would be much more manageable.

Breaking up is hard to do? I don't think so.

6 comments:

peachy said...

I read an article on this on MSN yesterday, and it was saying that married people are happier because they are more likely to eat better, have more regular sex (which always makes people happy), exercise more, and just live a better life than singles. So based on that, they probably have less stress. Of course, this is a generic statement and doesn't apply to everyone. I am pretty stress free either way I guess. Doesn't affect me much.

a beer sort of girl said...

I don't think that you can make a blanket statement like that. It totally depends on the individuals in each individual marriage and how they do or do not reduce stress. From a 'healthy habits' sort of view-point, I'm sure it looks less stressful. But it's not like it isn't work, too.

Summer said...

I once saw an episode of one of those court shows, where the guy was sueing the exwife because she slandered his shortness in public all the time. Supposedly the reason she divorced him was because he was too short. She was 6' which was four inches taller than him. This just amazes me. Why even marry/date the guy if he's not what you want in the first place?

SJ said...

To quote the great Homer Simpson: "Yep, I've heard 'em all - I like you as a friend, I'm married to the sea, I'm not gay but I'll learn..."

Katy said...

So Donald Trump is giving out relationship advice?

I was/am way too self-sufficient so I think it is more stressful to be in a relationship. If you are "by yourself" all you have to worry about is you.
On the other hand, if you are dating, you worry about what the other person thinks, is he going to see you without makeup, what if you toot in front of him...
Unless you are me and then you are just yourself and they can take it or leave it.
What was my point?

grace said...

maybe i'm just lucky.... so i'm not going to comment. heh. hrm...