Thursday, January 20, 2005

People Watching At The Auto Repair (?) Place

There was some fun to be had while I was waiting for the ravaging of my car to be done. I hadn’t noticed it before, but this place was a haven for celebrity look-alikes. They were everywhere.

As I was sitting there reading my book, I heard what sounded to be Bob Marley talking to someone. As I looked up, there he was, Mr. Bob Marley Wannabe, complete with the dreds hanging out of the hat that looked like a knit bag on his head. The guy really did look and sound like Bob.

Naturally I started to look around for more wannabes. This must be where they come for service. Yep, I was right. Walking in from the Service Desk, there was Eugene Levy, straight from Second City TV. How cool. Should I ask for an autograph? Hmm…

Before I could act he stopped and started talking to a woman who was seated opposite me. I hadn’t noticed, but she really looked a lot like Indira Gandhi. But here she was with Eugene, so I knew it was just another wannabe. They got into a little spat about dinner that evening. I found that amusing since it was 8:30 A.M. and they were fighting about dinner already. Sounds like a tough night coming.

Just then who should walk around the corner but Denny Terrio. (Did I spell that right?) This guy looked just like the disco guy all right. Tight jeans with the tight shirt opened part way down his chest. Tight little leather jacket, slicked back hair and a serious tan. This guy really looked the part. Yep, another celebrity wannabe.

As the Eugene and Indira show was winding down, I looked straight ahead of me into the other room and who did I see there? It was none other than Howard Cunningham, Ritchie’s Dad. This guy not only looked the part, but he talked just like him. I didn’t think there were any more people alive that had sickeningly sweet way of talking to people. Dude, where’s the Fonz?

That was all for the celebrity wannabes. There was also this Asian guy sitting real close to the television. He weirded me out a bit. He was wearing a suit, complete with very shiny shoes, but he had a big, long scarf wrapped around his neck that he never took off. He also had a hat on. One of those hunters looking ones with earflaps and a little thin bill above the eyes. He never removed that either. He was carrying a backpack and periodically he would pull food out and munch down, never stopping his intense watching of the TV. He did pause for a phone call. He spoke real loud into his cell phone and it really did sound like an important business call. Strange guy. Maybe he can’t get warm enough?

To my left there was this woman sitting wrapped in an afghan. She kicked off her shoes, grabbed her knitting (Maybe crochet?) and wrapped up in her afghan waiting for her car. That’s planning ahead.

Basically there were people enough to keep me entertained, but I stuck to my book. I guess I’ll get another chance next week to see who else shows up.


3 comments:

Me said...

... and other than Bob Marley I didn't have a clue who any of those people were that you mentioned. LOL.

Am I tv deprived?

grace said...

aw, man... you get the interesting people.

we have all the same people... guys on cell phones and girls on cell phones... with boob jobs.

yup. that about covers it.

Yankeebob said...

Egghe, I have the unrated version of "Dawn of the Dead." It's great. And I choose to take the Agassi comment as a compliment, thank you.

Meritt, since you are TV deprived (by choice I believe) I'll help you out here. Eugene Levy starred in and wrote some of Canada's Second City TV show. It was a cheesy version of Saturday Night Live. John Candy was one of the stars. Indira Gandhi was a Prime Minister of India. Howard Cunningham was the Dad on Happy Days. Denny Terrio was the guy who taught John Travolta to dance for Saturday Night Fever.

Grace, there wer plenty of cell phone addicts, but no babes with boob jobs damn it. :(

Giest, I always find ways to entertain myself, even if it involves poking fun at complete strangers.