Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Human Observations

I’ve noticed that a lot of people who ask for an opinion really aren’t interested in it. Mostly they want to hear it for one of 2 reasons. One, so they can agree with someone. Then they can both pat each other on the back, trading ego biscuits because both people feel superior. Far superior to those who haven’t figured out how inferior they are for having an opposite opinion.

Second, they may disagree. That is a short cut for them to superior-dom. They’ve got the person right there who obviously knows less than them and they already are much smarter. Then they get to lump that person in with all those other losers of the world that ‘just don’t get it’ in real time. This is a very common occurrence.


Have you ever had a morning where your partner wakes up totally wound-up, really full of energy? The type of morning where they are so ready to get the day started that they are border-line obnoxious about it? I experienced one of those this past weekend. Unfortunately, it was a morning when I was totally the opposite, ready to fall asleep at any moment. I tried to get into the swing, but I have to say that I was hating life for a while. I needed quiet time to ease into waking up. There was none. It became so irritating that I hurried through the morning routine and raced outside to get to Starbuck’s. After that I was ready for the day. Maybe that was her plan all along?


Have you ever been told that someone was boring? Or worse, been told you were boring? (I have a friend who was called this recently, by a guy in a bar who’s intentions were obvious.) It’s a weird statement. To me, people are only boring to those who think their way is right and the person they are judging is wrong. If you really want to know someone and are truly are interested in knowing them, you can't find them boring. Different from you, maybe, but not boring. Boring to me means irrelevant. I don’t think anyone can be considered irrelevant. Annoying maybe. Obnoxious, different, silly, stupid & lots of other things. Lots of things that keep you from being interested in knowing them any better than you already do. But no one is irrelevant.

Now, there are people who want you to be something you’re not. Like say, ‘easy’. Or supportive of their desires even if they are selfish and stupid. Well they might find you boring. Only because you won't give them what they want. But those people usually aren't worth knowing anyway. They become irrelevant in your future world. But the discussions about them probably aren’t boring.

Well, those are a few observations I’ve had this morning. Funny how things just pop into your head and you find yourself thinking about them for a while.




7 comments:

peachy said...

Boring people are those that are sheltered. If you have never done anything or gone anywhere, or read, you don't have any insight (about anything) and you have nothing to talk about. Because of that, you just sit there quietly. That's boring. I have only called one person a bore to their face, but I couldn't stand them, so who cares? hee hee.

Peeved Michelle said...

There is only one person I ever described as boring. It was this guy I knew in college, the second most gorgeous man I have ever seen in real life. I met him through a friend and although he was very nice, he was so boring. Painfully boring. If suicide had been an option to get out of a conversation with him, I would have considered it. I don't know what it was. Still, I totally made out with him one night.

Quyen said...

I think being stoic and quiet are all part of being irrelevant... it really doesn't matter if you're there or not because you're not saying anything!

I don't mind the boring people really. Unless I'm hostess, I could care less if everyone is participating. But the one thing that really annoys me is people who tell dumb stories that have no point... especially when you're expecting funny or interesting to come out of their mouths.

Karen said...

As someone who's been accused of being "quiet," I can say it's not because I'm "boring."
1) It's because I'm taking in what everyone's saying and only put in my two cents when I have something good to add
or
2) More likely than not, I'm being "quiet/boring" because I'm bored by the people I'm with. What? People who aren't quiet can be boring too? You don't say!

SJ said...

I have never been called boring, but I do sometimes like to just sit back and watch the people around me, or listen to the conversation in a group without really joining it. I observe a lot, I guess.

grace said...

i'm usually really quiet around steve's friends. they're a little older than i am and they just... know more stuff. and i have nothing to contribute. i feel really STUPID around them and i'm sure they think i'm boring and have no personality.. yeah? well, SCREW THEM.

uhm... what were we talking about again????

Anonymous said...

whew. where to start: i'm feeling rather opinionated this evening so bear with me. first of all i must voice my disapproval of Starbuck's! Starbuck's Bobby?! ouch. i know, i know; "sorry suz but it's right here" or "i really like it" or "your shop isn't open yet"....blah, blah, blah. if you want fast food coffee, why don't you go to 7-11? second, i've always been a morning person. i think we're a rare breed. why not start out the day fresh and happy. you'll only get out of it what you put into it and normally it's addictive. see someone happy and smiling and you get drawn into it to. bet if she suggested a little hanky panky you'd be 'insta-happy'. moving on....boring. i don't agree with boring meaning irrelevant. i've personally thought a lot of people i've come across have been boring but usually not til after i got to know them. boring to me is uninterested. uninterested in life. not interested in meeting or getting to know new people, not interested in going anywhere or doing anything. not interested in making the most of what's offered to them or realizing the potential of themselves and what they have.....just sitting around watching life pass them by. now THAT'S boring. this kind of person is much like the one you mentioned in your last paragraph...selfish and irrelevant in my future world....except for the discussions. :-)