Thursday, January 27, 2005

Stuff I Just Don't Get

Another addition the the ever growing list of stuff I don't get. This addition is food specific.

- Potatoes In Soup

Why do people ruin soup by putting potatoes in it? I hate that. I'm going along fine, enjoying my soup when suddenly there is a no-taste spot. That's what it's like. A spot in the soup that is blank, no flavor. A potato. The soup was so good until I hit that blank spot. I get so frustrated when that happens. Why do people have to screw up good soup like that?


- Tomatoes

I can't stand tomatoes. The flavor isn't even the biggest turn-off. It's the texture. It disgusts me. People hear me say this and they always say "you like ketchup and spaghetti sauce". Yep, I love those, but they don't taste like the original plus that awful texture is gone. I can just about barf when I see someone eat a raw tomato. Bleech!

- Stuffed Jalapenos

I loved Stuffed Jalapenos. Recently I found out that there is a big difference between them being stuffed with cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Cheddar is yummy. Cream chees in the jalapeno is the complete opposite, thouroughly disgusting. It's amazing the difference. Cream cheese should be left for bagels and sushi (japanese bagel rolls). Keep it out of my jalapenos!

- Chocolate Covered Cherries

Along the same line as the jalapenos, I prefer the cherries with the liquid centers over the creamy centers. I'm not as adamant about it though.

- Healthy Fast Food

Whatever idiot in the fast food world decided that they needed to start promoting 'healthy menus' needs a smack in the head. First, it's no longer fast. Lunch times are now screwed up because of this. Second, the food is no longer nearly as good. Case in point, I hate McDonalds Fries since they started using the new 'healthier' oil. They suck plus they make my stomach hurt a short time after eating them. Also, their 'baked pies' suck compared to the originals. Anyone who goes to McDonalds looking for healty food is an idiot. That's not what those kind of places are for. Wanna get healthy? Stay home. And the dorks that are caving in to this stupid idea, quit screwing up the places that once were good.

- Onions

I feel the need to express my love of the Onion. I love onions on almost everything. I like them raw, cooked, sautéed, crunchy, soft, green, yellow, purple... well, you get it. I don't even mind the bad breath that comes from the stronger, raw ones I have on my sandwiches. That's why I carry those Listerine breath strips with me. Other people do mind the breath. ;)

- Vegetarians/Vegans

I can't see the point of the hardcore Vegetarinan lifestyle. I know a lot of them are just health conscious and that I can see. It's the ones who freak out about the 'killing of innocent animals'. Please, that's what they are here for. They are food. Plus, eating plants is also killing. The plant is a living, breathing entity too. There are studies that show that plants are even capable of discerning the emotional state of their human owner. So they can be pets also. We, the human race, are omnivores. Have a steak and shut up.

- Hot Food

I prefer cold food. I like cold spaghetti, pizza, sandwiches & veggies. I eat SpaghettiOs and stuff like that (even soup) right out of the cans. I like food that way. A lot of people don't get it and give me crap about it. So what? That's how I like it. When something is hot, I have to let it cool off before starting it anyway. Plus I don't like a burned tongue. (Which happens to me easily.) I don't get how someone eats something so hot it's steaming. That's scary looking to me. And there are some people who even return stuff at restaurants because it's not hot enough. That's weird to me. Why take a chance like that for a few more degrees? Nope, the cooler, the better.

- Medium Rare Please

How come the different cooking levels for steaks aren't consistent in every restaurant? If you order a steak medium rare (my personal favorite) at The Outback, that thing comes back bloody. If I order it that way somewhere else, it may come back medium. It seems to me they could be more uniform since they all say the same thing when you order, "Ok, medium rare is warm with a little pink in the middle." Then it comes back almost every time either bloody or too well done. "Hey buddy, did you hear your own description?" I don't get that at all.


11 comments:

Me said...

Tomatoes: that is EXACTLY what my oldest daughter says. Every part of that post.

Onions: We could have a war here over who likes onions more... me or you. LOL.

Jalapenos - I HATE the cheddar ones. My family says "Why do they ruin them with cheddar!? Only the CREAM CHEESE stuff poppers are the GOOD ones". :)

Potatoes: Good description! A blank spot. Hmmmm.

Healthy Fast Food: I'm right there with ya. It's not their job to make it healthy, it's their job to make what they want to sell and our job to police our own diets.

Hot Food: I prefer hot over cold. If I eat cold foods I usually end up sick and have to make something 'hot'.

peachy said...

"Have a steak and shut up!" HA!!HA!! That's great.

I only eat jalapeno poppers if they have cheddar cheese.
The cream cheese is too mild for me.

I hear ya about medium rare. I only like it one way, and that's the right way. There's nothing like going out to eat and having a steak done too well or not well enough!

Lars said...

I also love to eat Spaghettios out of the can! Everyone always thought I was weird and not safe...thank you Bob!

Munch said...

I love tomatoes and I love potatoes in my soup. I hate Stuffed Jalapenos and I'm okay on onions. I like to eat healthy fast food and hot food.

Could you and I be any different on our menu style? Funny how people are alike but also very different.

grace said...

i happen to LOVE potatoes in soup. i make a kickass potato/leek soup. MMMMM :P

ooh, i also love tomatoes... LOVE THEM. all kinds. cooked, not cooked... whatever.

to be honest, i don't believe i've had stuffed jalapenos before. am i missing out???

i love chocolates, but i'm not a huge fan of those chocolate covered cherries. i think fruit should be eaten separately, for the most part.

with you on the healthy fast food and the onions. but i almost never eat either :( meh.

next time you see a vegetarian, tell him/her: for every one animal you don't eat, i'm going to eat 3. :P got that from maddox. i want to have 10,000 of his babies :P

i LOVE hot food. my tongue doesn't burn easily, though. steve's like you... even with that eating out of the can bit.

medium well for me! :) because most of the time, when i ask for medium, it's rare and i'm not a big fan of that blood taste.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

So I guess you aren't a fan of the Baked Potato Soup, huh? Mmmm...like a slice of heaven in a bowl! Hee!

And I actually "dumped" a friend for becoming a Vegan. If she had been a silent vegan that would be one thing. But she would make noises when I ate. Wretching noises. And we could only eat at certain places. And she had really smelly gas. Being a vegan takes all the fun outta being human.

Yankeebob said...

Meritt, we don't have to fight. We could have a contest to see who can eat the most food with onions though. I'd even let you do the cooking. :)

Peachy, I can take my steak being under done easier than if it's over done. (That sounds like the movie "Airplane".)

Lars, there's just nothing better than a fresh can of SpaghettiOs, unless it's a special SpaghettiO a la Bob casserole. Yum!

Spacebrain, any time you're ready for that Long Island trip, I'm in!

J, a killer because of honey? Do bees get killed when the honey is collected? I don't get that one.

AT, I guess our eating habits are pretty much opposite. I believe we have other things in common though. ;)

Grace, I've tried potato soup. It's like a big bowl of mushy nothingness to me. No thanks. It is my brother's favorite thing in the world though. Who's Maddox? I think you would be a bit worn out after the first 1,000 babies. You may want to rethink that number.

Mel, I've had potato soup. Is baked potato soup different? Your ex-friend sounds like an obnoxious person. Noisy and gassy. The old double whammy. I guess I hadn't thought about the gassy part. I'll bet vegans do stink!

Peeved Michelle said...

I feel the same exact way about Vegetarians and Vegans. I have no respect for the ones who are doing it for animal rights reasons. The one who are doing it for their health... good for them.

Amy S. Petrik said...

amusing blogging on the foods man. i will come by again. i accidently stumbled upon your site just now. take care, inky

cat said...

mmm, mmmm! i loves me some chocolate covered cherries. yummy, yum, yum!

i like potatoes in soup. i am a potato whore.

healthy fast food is a joke. but canadian mcd's fries are actually better than american ones. no joke! it's a different oil or something.

Joanne said...

I totally concur on the tomato thing. And my parents used to say the same thing to me too... I just don't like their texture in my mouth. Similarly, I like the taste of both onions & peppers in my food, but not the feeling of them in my mouth so I pick around them.

I had a roommate who had a boyfriend who was vegetarian for all the rock & twig reasons. I said to him one day, but you wear tennis shoes made of leather and use a leather baseball mitt. You can't have it both ways!