Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Could You? Would You?

Lately I’ve been having conversations with a friend via the Internet that have gotten my mind working again. She recently had an encounter with a celebrity and he wanted her to come up to his hotel room. Apparently they’d had several cell phone conversations and he really wanted her. She was seriously tempted, but didn’t do it. Mainly because she’s a good girl and secondly, I believe, (she hasn’t directly said this) because he’s married with kids and is a self proclaimed ‘super family man’. She did find that false image a bit distressing though.

On this blog we did a poll where we were able to pick which person we would spend one night of passion with if there were no repercussions, no strings, nothing to answer for. It was fun, but here’s someone who had that opportunity and passed. Now I’m wondering about the reality of it. It’s fun to fantasize and plan in our minds what we would do, but could we really do it if it was right there in our face, begging to be done?

I can sit here right now and say that if Sandra Bullock (by some miracle) and I ran into each other and she asked me up to her hotel room for one free night, no strings, I’d go for sure. (Yes, she would probably have been knocked in the head or something for this to happen, but bear with me here.) I have no doubts that I would. But when if and when it’s in my face, would the doubts be more real or do I know myself well enough to be correct before I’m faced with the issue? Gotta wonder.

I guess it’s a question of morality. A person’s moral fibre is pretty subjective, I think. What I consider to be morally correct isn’t necessarily what another person would believe. There are some things that society dictates are properly moral, (ie.: murder, rape, that kind of stuff.) but what about the small personal stuff, like having sex with someone you really like, not necessarily love? Or boinking a celebrity just because you probably will only get one chance in your lifetime? What about the person who prefers multiple partners to settling down with one person? Funny thing about that one. A woman is still called Slut, but a man is called Pimp. What’s the difference there? (A few years ago a Pimp was a bad thing.)

I’m not sure about what someone else thinks or feels on this. I don’t think anyone can be sure, especially about someone else. I’m pretty sure I know what I would do, but I can’t say that I wouldn’t waffle if I had the opportunity. I know this, I’d like to find out! So Sandra, I’m waiting for that call.

8 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

Morality.....this word sounds familiar.....
Put me in a hotel room with Tom Welling and watch the sparks fly, YB. Or even Sandra Bullock, for that matter.

Lars said...

Well, put me in a hotel room with the hottie actress of my choice (there are quite a few and they shall all remain nameless) and I would have to turn her down. But only because I'm married.

If I were not married and she asked me to go up to the hotel room with her, you bet I would. Sorry, I've only had sex with one person, and that's my wife, but if the hottie actress had asked me back when I was not married, which I guess I was only legal for 2 years before I was married, I would have done it, you bet.

But now I'm married, and I wouldn't ever cheat on her.

Yankeebob said...

Lars, you're a good guy.

CL, maybe we can both talk to Sandy? It would save her some time.

SJ said...

Interesting question YB. And I guess a question like this can only be answered based on how each person feels. Some people might genuinely love their partner but think they can't let the chance to sleep with a celebrity go by. Or they may not think of sleeping with a celibrity as cheating at all. I don't believe I would ever do it, though. Well, depending on circumstance, of course - if I was single then sure. But if I was in a relationship then I'd still be cheating on my girl, celebrity or no celebrity. And I wouldn't be with my girl if I wasn't in love with her. And if I was in love with her, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. But I guess I'm just old fashioned like that...

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

I really think it would depend on the celebrity (it is tearing me up inside not knowing who it is!). Is that bad?

To be honest, in my lifetime I have done alot of things that I thought I would never do. And I have also paid the price for them. Do I regret anything? Absolutely not. It's a pretty tough thing to abide by all the rules all the time, morally or otherwise. And maybe I am just evil in my thinking, but being an imperfect human, I am entitled to a few mistakes along the way.

I don't want to be at the end of my life thinking to myself "well, it was okay, but I really wish I would've done this or that when I had the opportunity."

At the end of the day, I am responsible for my own actions, but also my own happiness. If that means sleeping with Clive Owen, then so be it!

grace said...

i think if i by some chance ran face to face into jude law or some other object of my affection, i couldn't do it. as much shit as i talk, i really don't believe i would want to...

but, maybe a 3some with CL and jude, i could go for :P

Cindy-Lou said...

Awesome, Grace. You have my phone # right? In case you run into him?

cat said...

to me sex isn't something that you just do with anyone or anything. :) that is for ME personally. i don't care how other people see it. i honestly believe it's an individual choice. however if you end up living the rest of your life with someone i think it's a good idea that you have kinda the same ideas. :)

call me a sap, but the man i am going to spend the rest of my life with is my first, only and forever more. i'm really old fashioned. and actually it just sort of happened that way.

as much as i would be mega crushing on a celeb, i wouldn't have a fling. i'm too sensitive for that.