Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Tonight’s Thought Parade

I saw an old Seinfeld where Jerry was giving George crap about re-reading books. His point was that once you read a book, you’re done with it so you should get rid of it. As he was talking I started looking around me. I have 3 books going right now. I have a bookshelf behind me full, a cabinet nearby full, many boxes in storage full and an even larger bookshelf upstairs full. Yep Jerry, I do keep all my books. And I do reread them. Most of them.

Should I get rid of them? Nope, I don’t think so. I’ve read many of mine several times. I feel like I get something different out of them if I revisit them later. Yes, there are some I think suck, but basically, I keep almost all of them. To me, print is not dead.

I see Clay Aiken has a Christmas special on. Why? This whole American Idol thing is getting annoying. So they can sing. Doesn’t mean they are interesting. The interesting thing is the first few episodes of the show when Simon let’s the bums have it. That’s OK. This is a show that needs to go away along with the pop singers it pukes out.

Two movies I’ve seen ads for recently are Blade 3 and Electra. I thought Electra would be hard to make a whole story about, but the previews (E had a preview show on) look really good. Looks like it will be much better than Daredevil.

The Blade trilogy is an acquired taste I think. I like it. I’m looking forward to the 3rd one coming out. Wesley Snipes plays that part like it’s really him. Maybe it is and we’ve been fooled all this time.

Billboard Music Awards eh? No thanks. Just how many awards shows are there now? I couldn’t begin to name them all. Doesn’t it kind of cheapen the original awards by flooding the world with wannabes? Does a Grammy or an Oscar still mean something? Maybe the new stars prefer an MTV award now. Who knows. I just feel like there is a new award show every month.

By the way, I heard that Dick Clark had a stroke. He’s 75 years old. Doesn’t look a day over 50.

I saw something where Britney Spears was wearing her cut-off shorts so short that the pockets were hanging way below the remaining denim. It looked pretty bad. Now I’m not knocking short shorts by any means, but that was not a good look. Kinda sorry looking. Her t-shirt said MILF in training. Sheesh! I guess when you get rich you don’t notice it so much when you are making an ass of yourself?

See what happens when I get time alone with a remote in my hand? I need Baseball to come back so I can avoid nights like this.

I just flipped back to the awards show. Sheryl Crow is doing some country song. I might be able to take it if she’d get rid of the guy. (Sherrrryl…! ) Can that guy be any more of a rocker wannabe? It's country dude! Way too animated for the 3 chords he’s strumming. Chill out guy! Geez! I don’t get why Sheryl does these things.

Click! (That was the remote turning the tube off.)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hmm. Some books I read once then throw into my "used bookstore" box. Others are "keepers" that I read over and over and over again. I tend to read pretty quickly, so every time I re-read a book, I discover something new.

I happen to like American Idol! I'm not particularly fond of the music the contestants release after they get their recording contracts, but I admit to looking forward to the varied interpretations of songs I've heard before.

Maybe that's just me. :)

Cindy-Lou said...

I have such a bad memory that I really only need to keep about four books on hand for the rest of my life. I will completely forget if I've read a book or not. One of the perks of a bad memory. Maybe the only perk.

Jody said...

We, too, are book hoarders. When we recently remodeled and moved our offices (to make room for the baby) we actually sorted through our books and took those we could part with to the Half Price Book Store. That got ride of the books that had no home. All shelves, cabinets & nooks are still full. And we have since purchased new books... I am reading 3 books & about 4 magazines right now. I'm an addict!