Saturday, December 25, 2004

A Personal Christmas Memory

The ‘A Christmas Story’ marathon is on again this year on TBS. Every time I see A Christmas Story is on, I have to make sure I catch the part where Ralphie’s Dad gives him the Red Ryder Rifle. That part gets me every time. It reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas memories.

I once had a Christmas present just like Ralphie in A Christmas Story. It was a football.

I know that doesn’t sound like a big thing, but when I was 11, in my neighborhood, it was huge. I was into Baseball and Football heavily back then and to not have my own football was horrible.

We weren’t well off then. Actually we were very poor. My Dad was only a couple of years from being dead (booze) and my Mom was essentially trying to make it on her own with 4 kids. It had to suck for her.

Anyway, no matter who asked me that year, all I ever said I wanted for Christmas was my own football. Nothing else ever came out of my mouth. Just a football.

Looking back, I believe I would have been just fine if I had gotten just a football. I didn’t even think about anything else. I remember every night checking out all the loot beneath the tree, feeling up all the stuff, trying to find the one true object of my desire. Never did it show. As Christmas got closer and closer I got more and more anxious. I just knew I had to get one. I was just like Ralphie, stressing out over this one thing in all the world that would make me happy.

Well, on Christmas morning, as we ripped open all the presents, my spirits got lower and lower. After all was said and done, I had no football. I was so bummed. My Dad asked me if I got everything I wanted. I never saw the childlike gleam in his eye as I glumly answered “Almost.” I didn’t want to seem ungrateful, but I was very sad.

Then my Dad started looking toward the small couch. He was exaggerating his movements so I would notice him looking. After a few minutes I asked him what he was doing and he said, “Hmm, I think someone missed one. Isn’t that a present still wrapped up?” I looked but, of course, I saw nothing. He kept egging me on until I went and found a package shoved behind the couch. And it had my name on it! I couldn’t stand the suspense and began ripping the paper like a mad person. And there it was, my very own genuine, official league football! It was so awesome I could have cried. The best part was the look on my Dad’s face. He was always just one small step from still being a kid. Especially at Christmas.

He even decided we should go outside and break it in together, right away. That year was a cold one. I remember being outside with my Dad and the greatest gift I’d ever received, freezing to death, but loving every second. We couldn’t take it too long, maybe 15 minutes or so, but that football had been broken in just right. My Dad and I freezing together for that short period of time is one of the fondest memories I have of him.

Every time I see the scene where Ralphie’s Dad gets so excited seeing Ralphie unwrapping the Daisy Red Ryder, I think of my Dad. I find it ironic that a movie scene is so much like one of my fondest personal memories. But I do enjoy reliving it over and over again.

10 comments:

Me said...

damn... ya made me cry.

:)

Merry Christmas... and ps; dh was watching last night too. It was watched as a family twice this year, (once earlier last night) and then when we all went to bed he was watching the tv special and some of the interviews. He said he drifted off right during the 'fuuuuuddddgggeeee' part.

Again: Merry Christmas.

cat said...

ohmygosh i HATE that movie. i gives me major anxiety attacks and upset stomach. *shudder* don't know which i hate more IAWL or a christmas story. they're both waaaaay up there.

ugh.

leave me with snoopy and the grinch (cartoon only!) and i'm a happy gal!

SJ said...

Cute story, Bob. Brings a tear to a man's eye...

Happy Xmas to you and your family!

Oddgirl said...

That is an awesome memory. It says a lot about the kind of person you are. I grew up with my mother who was a raging alcoholic. Most of the time she was horrible. I have very few happy memories of childhood. The memories that are good are powerful like your story.

Do you still have the football? Boy, that would be something if you did.

Merry Christmas Bob! Warm wishes from the both of us. I hope you have a great day.:)

Yankeebob said...

Meritt, sorry for the tear-jerker. That's what happens to me when I watch that scene. My Dad was a great guy, when he was sober.

Cat, I love Snoopy and the Grinch too. But sometimes I'm in a more sentimental kind of mood.

Thanks Ian. You know, real men cry.

Nina, nope, that football got used hard. I was the most popular guy in my neighborhood for some time after I got it. We wore it out.

My Dad sounds like your Mom. It's hard to describe that kind of person to someone who hasn't had to live with it. He was a great guy, but his demons ate him up. He died when he was only 33 years old. Like you, my memories that are good are powerful.

I do have an official Daisy Red Ryder Rifle though.

Cindy-Lou said...

I'm glad the good memories are powerful. Thanks for sharing this story, YB.

peachy said...

At least you didn't shoot your eye out.
What a great story. Maybe your dad loved Christmas Story also, although I'm not sure when it came out. Merry Christmas. I made out like a bandit. YAY!! I have a bet for you and our favorite coworker. :)

Yankeebob said...

John, I'm sitting here laughing like a fool! That was hilarious!

I've been told it's not a hair problem, rather that I have a receding brain line.

Jody said...

What a touching story. I don't think I have any Christmas memories that are so poignant. (wiping away tear)

grace said...

that is just the sweetest story.... phew. almost made me cry!!!

hope you had a merry xmas, yb :)