Wednesday, December 01, 2004

My Curiousity Is Getting Me Again

I have no idea why this thought just popped into my head, but I wonder if Sumo Wrestlers have girlfriends. Are they even allowed to? If they did get a girlfriend, what would they be like? What kind of gift exchange would there be? "Here honey, I got you a new diaper-thing. Now you can think of me when you are trying to crush the other Sumos." I wonder what he would get for her.

I'll tell you one thing, if a Sumo and his girl were getting married, in the pre-nuptial agreement, the girl should have some kind of statement about him doing his own laundry, if you know what I mean.

And why do people say "...from the bottom of my heart"? Why the bottom? What's wrong with the top? I've heard "it comes from the heart." That I understand. Along those lines, why is it "...off the top of my head" or "...on the tip of my tongue"? Wait, I guess the tip of the tongue does make sense. It's easier to spit things out when they're on the tip, so I get it.

And one more thing I'm curious about. This week there was some country singer doing a concert on television and the ads were saying he was going to 'rock the place'. How does a country singer 'rock the place'? That's sort of wrong, isn't it? Country music people can't rock anything. Wasn't he 'countrying the place' or 'hee-hawing the place'?

And if they love country music so much and if they really see it as 'America's music', how come for the past few years there has been this rash of country music people bastardizing good rock n roll songs? Maybe they've run out of ideas for country songs or something. I don't care what the reason is, I wish they'd stop screwing up good rock songs.

Yes, once again my curiosity has gotten the better of me. Oh well, that's why I have this blog. Even if it doesn't sound sensible, it all makes sense to me. I think.

12 comments:

peachy said...

I saw a bit of the Tim McGraw special, and they said he had a song ou with Nelly. I couldn't believe it, nor did I stick around to hear it. I'm sure it sucks. Nelly and Tim McGraw?! ??? hee hee.

Me said...

Hold on now partner! As a country music fan let me take a step back and say I want Kid Rock OUT OF MY COUNTRY! LOL. Yep... kind of goes back to him. He started to hang with the country crowd about 2 years ago. Lines were kind of blurred after that and many country and rock started to hang with each other. Then they started to pair up to sing and well... there ya go.

Tim does a duet with Nelly - "Over and Over" which is good actually. But it all kind of goes back to the whole Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker thing when they crossed over first and then others followed.

Anarchy will follow I tell ya... anarchy!!!

Jody said...

Hmmm, how strange, I tried to post a comment on Boudicca's Voice a minute ago & it wouldn't let me. But I can post to you. Blogger must like you better!

I blame Faith Hill and Shania Twain. Or maybe I blame those pop-rock listeners who adopeted some pop-country singers as their own.

The whole world has gone mad!!

Yankeebob said...

Wow! I can post a comment! The day is looking up.

I remember a country music album coming out in the mid 90's that was all covers of Eagles songs. Now, The Eagles were almost country, but still, that's the first I remember this cross-over trend.

I did see Kid Rock singing on the country tv station once. He was doing a country version of a classic rock song. ??? I was pretty pissed about that one.

I agree with the Shania Twain idea too. When her husband (Mutt Lange) started producing her albums, she really started to blur the lines. (He is a famous rock producer)

Me said...

I was going to bring the whole Shania thing into my post before too but I'm long winded and the post was long enough so I just left it with the Kid Rock subject. LOL.

I remember being pissed when Shania started to cross over (thanks to manager hubby). But I don't really like her anyway so I just glaze over any topic with her in it. LOL.

But I do love country. I'll admit it. *wink* (I also love heavy metal, punk, alternative, rock, classic rock, folk music, celtic, christian, 80's hair bands, a little bit of jazz, some opera, 30's and 40's... lots of 50/60's music, most of the stuff from the 70's, ... heck almost everything!) If you turn on the radio and flip stations I can most likely sing along with any song on the dial you find. Not kidding. I can't tell you who sings it, but I can tell you all the lyrics. ;)

grace said...

i think i heard somewhere that sumo wrestlers got lots of tail. and not just just any tail. HOT TAIL.

gross.

from the bottom. you know... so you get the whole thing. if it was just the top of the heart, it wouldn't be wholehearted... i think that's what they mean. but what the hell do i know.

i effin' hate country. in fact, fuck country music. 'scuse my cursing. i try not to curse on other ppl's blogs...

and unrelated to this post: can you email me? i need to ask you a question about teaberry ice cream. grace.bon@gmail.com

Cindy-Lou said...

YB, once I used the phrase "I heard it out of the corner of my ear" and my friend Jill thought that was so great she said it for years. Actually, she's probably still saying it. That's how these little sayings get started. It only takes a slip of the tongue and someone not too embarrassed to repeat it.
On a side note, can you email me too? I have a question about rocky road.

Yankeebob said...

"I heard it out of the corner of my ear." Now that is definitely a CL quote. Do ears have corners?

I'll be right with you about that Rocky Road thing CL. Right after I finish my Mint Chocolate Chip.

Lynn said...

I guess I'm kind of the weirdo here -- I listen to both country and rock. LOVED that Eagles covers album you mentioned. Don't listen to country so much these days -- I'm furious with a particular aspiring artist and he soured me on the whole genre.

In Shania's defense -- it's wasn't until Mutt Lange started producing her albums that she hit it. She only had one album before Mutt, and it did nothing. Barely made a squeak on the scene. When she paired with Mutt, she took off.

I don't blame the artists for this -- I blame the record labels. Of course, I blame the record labels for the entire state of the American music scene today, anyway, so that wasn't so far a leap.

But yeah, the country artists are trying to cross over, grab a larger market (can you say LeAnn Rimes, boys and girls?). I've heard some really bad country-done rock covers, but I've heard a good one or two, so I won't complain too much.

Still . . . give me my melodic rock any day!

a beer sort of girl said...

Sumo wrestlers do get a lot of tail, I'd bet! They're heroes. I heard once that they used to have special assistants who kneeded their bellies after the ate, to help with the digestive process. So funny!

I want to jump on the bandwagon, but I don't eat ice cream. Yankeebob, you can email me anytime with a beer question. :)

Cindy-Lou said...

Hey Beer Girl, I have a beer question!
Why do I not have a beer in my hand right now?
Cindy

Kis Lee said...

i saw something on japanese t.v. and they showed some sumo wrestlers with their wives. all the women were super petite and really hot. i think a few were former models.