Friday, December 31, 2004

The Year In Review

I’ve noticed a bunch of ‘Year in Review’ posts recently. Here are some things I remember about the past year. (Maybe I’ll do a more personal one tomorrow. Or the next day. Maybe.)

Janet Jackson started it off with a bang, or should I say a boob? And that weiner Justin Timberlake came up with “Wardrobe Malfunction”. A new term for “I really planned this but I’m trying to cover it up”. I’m not opposed to nudity, but in a situation where so many kids are watching, that was wrong. Kids have enough things to confuse them these days. They didn’t need that.

It was an Election Year. Probably the most contentious election I remember. I still don’t think it was ever clear as to what the candidates stood for, especially Kerry. The mud slinging took center stage. Bush can probably thank dopes like Michael Moore for his win. Maybe he was actually on the Bush payroll?

The Yankees had a great year. I learned that I could still live after they lost to boston. (Small b on purpose.) It hurts still, but the season was still a great one. Their pitching weakness finally caught up to them, as did the Cardinals’ weak pitching staff.

The Sunami. The biggest story of the year, by far. So far, over 120,000 people lost. Untold destruction. God help those people. This story puts everything into perspective, or at least it should. Tomorrow is never promised to us. We need to appreciate every minute we are allowed.

Kobe Bryant got off. I guess this was expected, whether he was guilty or not.

Scott Peterson got the death penalty. Personally, I think they can’t kill him soon enough. This has sparked off a flurry of death penalty pro/con discussions. I believe that when someone voluntarily murders a person, takes away their right to live, they have decided that they are no longer a part of the human race. They have become one of the animal kingdom. And you don’t murder animals, you kill them. They can’t kill him soon enough.

Hockey is on strike. (Sorry Mel & J) I’m not a fan, but in reading the reasons, it sounds like the players want no salary cap, but the owners say they need one to stay in business. Take a lesson from Football boys, where it has helped. Take a lesson from Baseball, where the money rules. It’s better to still have a sport than to lose it completely because of greed.

Blogger became huge! Blogging has become so big that it has begun to surpass mainstream media for news. There are no restrictions when blogging. I found it this year and have become hooked. I’ve made many friends in places I probably won’t ever get to see first hand. It’s been the most fun thing I’ve found this year. (That and Apple Jacks with marshmallows.)

Iraq, the black hole for American money. What else needs to be said about that mess? We need to resolve whatever the true reasons were that we went in there and get our people home. God bless them.

Sandra Bullock has a new love. She just hasn’t figured out that she wants me yet. Oh well, tomorrow starts another year. Who knows?


6 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

You're going to have to fight me for her.

grace said...

i would pay money to see CL and YB have a catfight over sandra bullock. (even if i think she's overrated. i'm going to get crucified for that sentence, aren't i? damn.)

why don't you guys play nice and just share? :P

i'll take pics :P muwahaha.

Yankeebob said...

Grace, I tried to share Sandy with CL earlier this month, but somehow I got bumped for a threesome of CL, Evil (El Sid) & Sandy. I wasn't even invited for pictures or anything.

SJ said...

Good News Review, Bob - but because I live outside the US, I'd only heard of one or two of those. So for your international readers, here's a few things that went down in Australia over the past year:

1. We also had a general election. PM John Howard got back in, mostly due to the fact that Mark Latham - the leader of the opposition - used to beat up cab drivers and tell journalists they're "fucking idiots" on live TV. (Personally, I would have voted for him on this basis alone, if I were allowed to vote here).

2. Delta Goodrem (darling of Aussie TV-soap-turned-singer) got cancer, got Mark Phillipousis, got laid, got better, got on TV every night, got on my nerves, and got dumped. Gotta love her.

3. Port Adelide beat the Brisbane Lions by 113 points to 73, to become the National AFL Champions for 2004. (I have no idea what any of this means but thought I'd better sling a bit of sport in here).

4. It rained alot in Melbourne. It raines A LOT in Melbourne.

Yankeebob said...

Ian, I believe I would have to vote for Mark Latham too. Theres a real candidate.

So Mark P. got lucky, eh? I checked out Delta Goodrem via a Google search. She's pretty good looking. But her inspiration comes from Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. I think I'll just look, not listen.

Thanks for the update from down under, Ian.

Munch said...

What a great review. I used to work down the office from a guy whose brother filmed movies in CA and he was able to be a 'fill in' for lots of different movies and met a lot of famous people over the times.

You'll be happy to know he said Sandra Bullock was a very nice person and was very happy off camera as well. Catherine Zeta Jones was also very down to earth and humble but Julia Roberts was a b%^&h.

I dont like Mariah Carey either but thats probably jealousy over DJ talking.